Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Lesson In Static Methods And Late Static Binding


Until last week, I had never experienced what must have been incredibly frustrating to most developers: the fact that the self keyword in PHP refers to the class it is located in, and not necessarily a class that extends it. I personally ran into this problem when trying to extend Zend_Auth. Being a singleton, the constructor in Zend_Auth is protected, and the static method Zend_Auth::getInstance() instantiates itself. The problem is, when extended, My_Auth::getInstance() still returns an instance of Zend_Auth. The solution was to duplicate the static method in my My_Auth class, which worked properly. For example:

1.
2. 
3.class My_Auth extends Zend_Auth
4.{}
5. 
6.echo get_class(My_Auth::getInstance());
What did I get as a return value? Zend_Auth – because here is the source code of the getInstance() method in Zend Framework’s Zend_Auth class:
01./**
02.* Returns an instance of Zend_Auth
03.*
04.* Singleton pattern implementation
05.*
06.* @return Zend_Auth Provides a fluent interface
07.*/
08.public static function getInstance()
09.{
10.if (null === self::$_instance) {
11.self::$_instance = new self();
12.}
13. 
14.return self::$_instance;
15.}
Why didn’t I get an instance of My_Auth instead of Zend_Auth? Well, that’s because PHP determines the meaning of the self keyword at compile time, meaning that when you call a function that makes use of it later, you’ll get whatever it’s been defined to mean when it was compiled.
PHP 5.3 provides a workaround for this, called late static binding. Simply put, PHP 5.3 introduces a new use of the keyword static, that allows you to avoid this define-at-compile-time problem. Using PHP 5.3 with the same example, and the static keyword, here is what happens.
01.// Auth.php rewritten
02. 
03./**
04.* Returns an instance of Zend_Auth
05.*
06.* Singleton pattern implementation
07.*
08.* @return Zend_Auth Provides a fluent interface
09.*/
10.public static function getInstance()
11.{
12.if (null === static::$_instance) {
13.static::$_instance = new static();
14.}
15. 
16.return static::$_instance;
17.}
18. 
19.// My Auth class and sample code
20.class My_Auth extends Zend_Auth
21.{}
22. 
23.echo get_class(My_Auth::getInstance());
The result here is now that an instance of My_Auth is returned. Late static bindings make working with static methods much easier. For this feature alone I believe PHP 5.3 is a worthwhile upgrade.
The original work of Brandon Savage.

No comments:

Post a Comment